Monday 15 August 2016

Crafter's Companion August Project - Gingerbread HouseSketchbook

Good morning

Are you enjoying the Olympics? I've watched and enjoyed way more than I thought I would...mmm, I sure I said the same thing 4 years ago :) Anyhow it's back to crafting, and today I'm here to share one of my August projects for Crafter's Companion with you. This one is a little unusual - I was asked to make a shaped children's sketchbook.  The book has a shaped roof and cut out windows and contains plain paper allowing a child to draw inside and use their imagination.

My 1st challenge was trying to think about book design would trigger a child's imagination; so after spotting the Gingerbread Edge'able die I immediately thought of a Christmas  house....and what could be better than a gingerbread house. I hope you like it :)

Here's a link to other designs http://www.katescreativespace.com/2016/04/10/altered-books-for-little-people/  So tell me what would you create ---- let me know?
 


 
Here's What I Did
First I marked the top centre top of the sketchbook with a pencil, then measured so far down each side (I did 2") and drew a line from each side to the top to create my roofline. This was then cut off.

Next I cut down 2 pieces of Kraft card to cover the front and the back. On the front piece I added approx an extra 2" to the width and scored to lines down it quite close together - this was so it could be wrapped around the spine of the book. Both sections were cut to the same roofline angle as the book, this was then embossed and distressed with ink. Next I marked out where the windows should be on each piece (front, back and sketchbook) and using a rectangle die to cut them out. To make life easier for myself I dismantled the book to allow my die to cut through several sheets of paper, and then stapled them all back together.

I covered the front of my book with the Kraft card and then added the back piece making sure the windows and roofline were lined up. The die cut window fronts were added next and made sure they were also lined up perfectly (I added a set of frames on the inside cover of the book to make everything look nice and neat as well). If you have any questions just leave me a message and I'll reply to you or give me your email address.

To finish off I added LOTS of die cut elements and glitter, and basically used my imagination to decorate it....there are no rules.

Here's What I Used
Crafters' Companion Products Used:  Core'indations 'Brights' and 'Pastel' Pad, Sheena Douglass White Stamping CS, Crafters Companion Kraft Card, Sara's Signature Collection 'Lazy Daisy' and 'Cottage Window', Die'sire 'Flower Buttons' and 'Gingerbread Man' Edge'ables, Diamond Press 'Love Today' Dies & Stamp Set & Fashion Dies 'Banners', Textures Embossing Folder 'Dry Stone Wall', Collall Glue, Sparkle Pen 'Aquamarine'

Other: School Book (Orange), Fence, Oval & Rectangle, Star, Christmas Tree Dies, Wood Effect embossing Folder,  Glitter CS, Glitter, Pearl, Fineliner Pen, Long Arm Stapler, Distressing Ink

Don't forget....if you want to see more Crafter's Companion creations made my lovely teamies why not join our Facebook page - just search for Crafter's Companion UK or USA, and for more magazine inspiration definitely checked out the Crafters' Companion Inspiration Magazine group. Just a little heads up...we are also on Twitter, Instagram and have a Pinterest Board, so why not follow us.

---------------

I look forward to seeing you soon. Why not leave me a message so I know who's out there - I'd love to hear from you!!

Challenge Entered:

Hugs & kisses

x Janine x

1 comment:

Christine L said...

This is truly fabulous Janine!! You're so clever and talented to come up with the idea!

Christine x