Thursday 27 February 2014

Sugar Bowl Challenge - Mother's Day/Special Lady

Hi everyone, it seems like ages since I made a card for the The Sugar Bowl. The theme this month is a Mother's Day/Special Lady.

Here's my card or should I say 'pop-up' card.  This is the first time I've made one of these, and loved it.  I used to make exploding boxes years ago, because they were so dimensional and these are the same sort of thing. I've take a few photos of this so you can see the detail, I have to admit it took me best part of a day and half to make but I did have a few hiccups along the way.

Why not join in with us and make a card/project for the special someone in your life, but don't forget your project MUST include a Sugar Nellie stamp or digi stamp - both are available from Funkykits. If you're not sure if your stamp IS a Sugar Nellie stamp either sent me a message with it's name/picture or visit the Sugar Bowl website and send an email to Sugar Mama using the link there.





Here's What I Did
 
UPDATE: I have just included a link to the tutorial I've created on how to make a box  **Sleep warning** it's a bit lengthy sorry, but it does have illustrations. Click here to open, download and/or save it. FYI, if you want to make the box height and/flaps slightly larger or smaller just increase or decease the measurements I've given you. Any questions just email me...have fun! 

I decorated the box sides and flaps with patterned papers edged with distressing ink. Each strut inside the box was embellished with die cut flowers, butterflies, a sentiment and my sweet Sugar Nellie fairy which I coloured with Copics and with a splash of glitter to her wings. Some of the embellishment were added to the struts themselves and some were taped to acetate strips. The idea is to give the box dimension and interest. The content is supposed to be hidden from view when it's flat but when the recipient 'squares' up the box the content 'pop's up' to give the surprise (as you see above).

Hope you like it. These boxes are all the rage at the moment and are so easy to make, so why not give them a go and make one for the 'special lady' in your life using your favourite Sugar Nellie stamp.

Here's everything I used:
Stamp:  'Live Laugh Love' Sugar Nellie stamp available from Funkykits
Paper/Cardstock (CS): First Edition 'Spring Drop', Papermill Textured Cream CS, Various Coloured CS, Glitter CS
Copics: Skin - E0000, E000, E00, E11, R20, R30 / Hair: YR0000, YR000, YR00, E13, E99 / Dress, Shoes & Flowers - R000, R20, R30, R32, R35 / Wings - G000, G00, G02 
Dies: Die-namics Blueprint 8, Spellbinders 'Rose Creations', Butterfly 'Magazine freebie', XCut 'Bloom' and 'Oval' & 'Scallop Oval', Cheery Lyn Designs' Fanciful Flourish' and 'Exotic Butterfly Small', Tattered Lace 'Embellishments'  
Other: Glitter, Craftwork Cards 'Candi', Acetate, Foam Pads, Inkylicious 'Mother' Sentiment Stamp, Distressing Ink Pad 'Worn Lipstick'

So don't forget to drop by at The Sugar Bowl and have a look at what the rest of my fabulous DT sweeties have created to inspire you; and why not join in with this month's challenge while you're there. It's open to everyone, and the theme is Mother's Day/Special Lady so  come on give it a go. 

You can create anything you like but it MUST include a SUGAR NELLIE STAMP (either rubber or digi) otherwise it will be removed (sorry!).

Have fun, and I look forward to seeing your creations on my return.

Hugs

Janine x

11 comments:

Ali said...

This is fab - such a great way to show your image and all the diecuts - love it xx

Janice said...

What a gorgeous gift, this is just adorable! Jx

Kat W said...

This is truly spectacular! I love the bright colours and your sweet fairy in amongst all those flowers - just perfect for a special Mum :-)
Hugs, Kat x

Roma said...

Wow this is so adorable love it !x

coops said...

wow so stunning janine.really fantastic design and i love your retty details and sweet image :D

xx coops xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, an amazing creation, I absolutely love it, thanks for the tutorial link will be having a go at one of these! Just spotted you over at the Sugar Bowl and had to take a closer look!
Helen x

Unknown said...

WOW, absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Chris said...

This is so lovely, Janine! Beautiful soft colours, sweet fairy and gorgeous flowers -a perfect Mother's Day card!
PS Thanks for the tutorial, so easy to follow, I've just made my first pop up box card!
Chris
x

Gibmiss said...

Hi Janine
Fabulous pop up ... I am deffo going to try one ... They seem the in thing at the Mom....
Hugs Sylvie
I am your new followerx

Sassy Cheryl said...

Absolutely stunning!
Thanks for joining us in the Sassy Cheryl's Show Me Thursday fun!!

Wendy said...

Absolutely gorgeous and so adorable, love it!...thanks for the fabulous tutorial, I have just made my first pop up box and posted on my blog
Wendy x